Top Arctic World Expeditions
Specialists in Iceland
Trips Cruises >> Trip Details
- Flight from your country of residence - Oslo.
- Accommodation in a hotel or hostel.
- Lunch and dinner not included.
Arrive in Longyearbyen, the administrative capital of the Spitsbergen archipelago of which West Spitsbergen is the largest island. Before embarking there is an opportunity to stroll around this former mining town, whose parish church and Polar Museum are well worth visiting. In the surrounding area of Longyearbyen, more than 100 species of plants have been recorded. In the early evening the ship will sail out of Isfjorden, where in the mouth of the fjord we may see our first Minke Whale.
We sail to Raudfjord on the north coast of West Spitsbergen, a beautiful fjord dominated by spectacular glaciers and favoured by Ringed and Bearded Seal. The cliffs and shoreline of the fjord also support thriving seabird colonies and a surprisingly rich vegetation, which flourishes in sheltered spots. Polar bear are often seen here.
Depending on the weather we may now sail to the mouth of Liefdefjorden and go ashore for a walk on the tundra island of Andøya. Many Common Eider and Pink-footed Goose nest here, and the rarer King Eider may also be seen. We hope to sail into Liefdefjorden, crui¬sing near the 5km long face of the impressive Monaco Glacier. The waters of the glacier front are a favourite feeding spot for thousands of Kittiwake. As well, Polar Bear have been seen on the glacier, providing wonderful opportunities for photography.
Today we will sail into Hinlopen Strait, home to Bearded Seal, Ringed Seal, Polar Bear, and Ivory Gull. At the entrance there is the possibility to see Blue Whale. We’ll navigate the ice floes of Lomfjordshalvøya in our zodiacs and explore the bird cliffs of Alkefjellet with thousands of Brünnich’s Guillemot. On the east side of Hinlopenstrait, we’ll attempt a landing at Palanderbukta on Nordaustlandet, home to reindeer, Pink-footed Goose, breeding Ivory Gull, and Walrus.
We will try reach our northernmost point at Phippsøya, in the Seven Islands north of Nordaustlandet. Here we will be at 81 degrees north, just 540 miles from the geographic North Pole. Polar Bear inhabit this region, along with Ivory Gull. The ship may sit for several hours in the pack ice, before turning west again.
Retracing our route westwards, our route takes us through and along the pack ice, keeping watch for Polar Bear and the elusive Greenland Whale (Bowhead). About 40 nautical miles west of Spitsbergen we sail along the edge of the continental shelf, where Fin Whale forage in summer in the upwellings along the Spitsbergen banks. At the mouth of the Kongsfjord we have also good chances to see Minke Whale.
We land at the northern tip of Prins Karls Forland near Fuglehuken. Seabirds nest on the cliffs, and along the coast we see Harbour Seal, the only population found in Spitsbergen. Here we also will observe the remains of the Polar Bear hunting era, with demolished set guns and bear traps. At the opposite site of Forlandsundet at Sarstangen is a haul out place for Walrus. Alternatively we sail into St. Johns Fjord or south to the mouth of Isfjorden and land at Alkhornet. Seabirds nest on its cliffs and Arctic Fox search the cliff base for fallen eggs and chicks, while Spitsbergen Reindeer graze the relatively luxuriant vegetation. At nighttime we arrive in Longyearbyen.
Return to Longyearbyen and disembark for the transfer to the airport and the flight to Oslo and home.
DATESJune - August 2017 (ask dates)
REGISTRATION DEADLINE45 days before
RESERVATION30% of the trip price excluding flight tickets and air taxes.
MINIMUM GROUP1 person
- Boating according expedition plan.
- Accommodation in a cabin according to chosen option.
- Full board on the ship.
- Trips zodiac according to expedition plan.
- Excursions according to travel plan.
- Multi-adventure insurance.
- 1 Piece of 20 kg of personal baggage.
- Regular flights air taxes.
- Accommodations in towns and cities.
- Transfers inside towns and other places, except the included from Longyearbyen airport to the vessel.
- Meals on transfers, airports and cities.
- Personal mountain equipment.
- Costs and applications for visa to Norway, European Union or other countries if required.
- Government arrival and departure taxes.
- Laundry on the boat.
- Alcoholic drinks and other drinks.
- Costs of telephone calls and any other telecommunications expends incurred by the travellers.
- Tips for the crew.
- Extra accommodation nights in Norway or other countries due to delays because of weather conditions, ice and snow state, inherent logistic in the Arctic, strikes at airports and any other cause beyond the control of Arctic World.
- Everything not listed in the INCLUDED section.
- Extra activities and excursions optional out of the expedition plan.
- Air excess costs of personal baggage.
Trip Cancellation Insurance (consult prices).
In case of a significant increasing of the vessel fuel prices, the expedition price could be reviewed and it could be applied a surcharge to compensate such increasing.
Arctic World as specialists in the polar regions, organize tailor made trips according the interests, budget, available time and wishes of the traveller. So, to this trip are possible adding activities, days, meals, excursions, etc, in order this will be an unforgettable experience. Just tell us the days, activities and meals you want to do and we will prepare your customize trip.